The spread of the black death.
Poland, tell us your secret.
Poland is the
If I remember correctly, Poland’s secret is that the jews where being blamed all over europe (as usual) as scapegoats for the black plague. Poland was the only place that accepted Jewish refugees, so pretty much all of them moved there.
Now, one of the major causes of getting the plague was poor hygiene. This proved very effective for the plague because everyone threw their poop into the streets because there were no sewers, and literally no one bathed because it was against their religion. Unless they were jewish, who actually bathed relatively often. When all the jews moved to Poland, they brought bathing with them, and so the plague had little effect there.
Milan survived by quarantining its city and burning down the house of anyone showing early symptoms, with the entire family inside it.
I reblogged this tons of times, but the Milan info is new.
Damn Italy, you scary.
Poland: “Hey, feeling a bit down? Have a quick wash! There, you see? All better”
Milan: “Aw, feeling a bit sick are we? BURN MOTHERFUCKER, BURN!!!!!”
Also, this might have something to do with it: from what I understand, O blood type is uncommonly… common in Poland. Something to do with large families in small villages and a LOT of intermarriage. The black plague was caused by a bacterium that produced, in its waste in the human body, wastes that very closely mimic the “B” marker sugars on red blood cells that keep the body from attacking its own immune system. Anyone who has a B blood type had an immune system that was naturally desensitized to the presence of the bacterium, and therefore was more prone to developing the disease. Anyone who had an O type was doubly lucky because the O blood type means the total absence of ANY markers, A or B, meaning that their bodys’ immune system would react quickly and violently against the invaders, while someone with an A may show symptoms and recover more slowly, while someone with B would have just died. Because O is a recessive blood type, it shows in higher numbers when more people who carry the recessive genes marry other people who also carry the recessive gene. Poland, which has a nearly 700 year history of being conquered by or partnering with every other nation in the surrounding area, was primarily an agricultural country, focused around smaller, farming communities where people were legally tied to, and required to work, “their” land, and so historically never “spread” their genes across a large area. The economy was, and had been, unstable for a very long period of time leading up to the plague, the government had been ineffective and had very little reach in comparison to the armies of the other countries around for a very very long time, and so its people largely remained in small communities where multiple generations of cross-familial inbreeding could have allowed for this more recessive gene to show up more frequently. Thus, there could be a higher percentage of O blood types in any region of the country, guaranteeing less spread of the illness and moving slower when it did manage to travel. Combine this with the fact that there were very few large, urban centers where the disease would thrive, and with the above facts, and you’ve got a lovely recipe for avoiding the plague.
Interestingly enough, as a result from the plague, the entirety of Europe now has a higher percentage of people with O blood type than any other region of the world.
WHY IS THIS ALL SO COOL
When Tumblr teaches you more about the plague than 12 years of school ever did.
I am descended from Poles and Jews and have type O blood. Clearly this is why I am so awesome: I am disease-proof. Also hygienic.
Gotta wash those hands!
Don’t forget since Europeans were superstious folks they would kill cats, since they were reprsented/accompanied by the devil/witches and would kill them (especially black cats) So once they almost eliminated cats there was no animals to kill rodents that carried the disease (since rats were the carriers cause of the infected fleas) So if they haven’t killed cats and were fuckin’ clean for once then about half of the population of Europe wouldn’t have died.
- rezandgaming likes this
- bye-bi reblogged this from miniezebra
- daughterofextremis likes this
- violetsolarplexus reblogged this from qui-ne-tente-rien-n-a-rien
- thewinchestersandthedoctor reblogged this from qui-ne-tente-rien-n-a-rien
- qui-ne-tente-rien-n-a-rien reblogged this from wiseass-mechanic
- of-ipods-and-interns likes this
- easterbunnymundlover likes this
- wiseass-mechanic reblogged this from starspangledusogirl and added:
- scrambledark reblogged this from mina-is-my-homegirl
- starspangledusogirl reblogged this from agentjjkelly
- irtaza1 likes this
- ilymorethanorequal2kurtnblaine reblogged this from muffimuffin
- sherwhomergotspn reblogged this from crackinmychassis
- crackinmychassis reblogged this from tnbcaddict
- never-stop-this-train likes this
- hipsterprimeminister likes this
- evilgenius77 reblogged this from timehufflepuffer
- englandsprincessbride reblogged this from hyperactivesovietninja
- englandsprincessbride likes this
- jag-vet-inte likes this
- speakinginquotes reblogged this from unicornsandbroomsticks
- kalikuks reblogged this from stevenperhero
- kalikuks likes this
- stevenperhero reblogged this from kleptomaniac-by-choice
- a-grue likes this
- thatfunnybone likes this
- kleptomaniac-by-choice reblogged this from ishar
- freebachproblem likes this
- imsemmi reblogged this from irodalmirohamosztagos
- originalwheat likes this
- iamabagfullofcats reblogged this from shitarianasays
- iamabagfullofcats likes this
- logic-and-shit reblogged this from caughtinf4ntasy
- askonebrokepony likes this
- athitaya likes this
- nightosphere-detective reblogged this from weasley-detectives
- totalstarwarsnerd reblogged this from starrypawz
- totalstarwarsnerd likes this
- buttersketches likes this
- abirdfliesintoamirror reblogged this from weasley-detectives
- pimschoco reblogged this from the-hecate-kalivas
- pimschoco likes this
- lazycheskie likes this
- tiny-snapdragon reblogged this from gogettergirl
- hella-rad-blog reblogged this from fourshields
- madnessiseverything reblogged this from dancineyebros
- madnessiseverything likes this
- dancineyebros reblogged this from sifaseven
- dancineyebros likes this