The spread of the black death.
Poland, tell us your secret.
Poland is the
If I remember correctly, Poland’s secret is that the jews where being blamed all over europe (as usual) as scapegoats for the black plague. Poland was the only place that accepted Jewish refugees, so pretty much all of them moved there.
Now, one of the major causes of getting the plague was poor hygiene. This proved very effective for the plague because everyone threw their poop into the streets because there were no sewers, and literally no one bathed because it was against their religion. Unless they were jewish, who actually bathed relatively often. When all the jews moved to Poland, they brought bathing with them, and so the plague had little effect there.
Milan survived by quarantining its city and burning down the house of anyone showing early symptoms, with the entire family inside it.
I reblogged this tons of times, but the Milan info is new.
Damn Italy, you scary.
Poland: “Hey, feeling a bit down? Have a quick wash! There, you see? All better”
Milan: “Aw, feeling a bit sick are we? BURN MOTHERFUCKER, BURN!!!!!”
Also, this might have something to do with it: from what I understand, O blood type is uncommonly… common in Poland. Something to do with large families in small villages and a LOT of intermarriage. The black plague was caused by a bacterium that produced, in its waste in the human body, wastes that very closely mimic the “B” marker sugars on red blood cells that keep the body from attacking its own immune system. Anyone who has a B blood type had an immune system that was naturally desensitized to the presence of the bacterium, and therefore was more prone to developing the disease. Anyone who had an O type was doubly lucky because the O blood type means the total absence of ANY markers, A or B, meaning that their bodys’ immune system would react quickly and violently against the invaders, while someone with an A may show symptoms and recover more slowly, while someone with B would have just died. Because O is a recessive blood type, it shows in higher numbers when more people who carry the recessive genes marry other people who also carry the recessive gene. Poland, which has a nearly 700 year history of being conquered by or partnering with every other nation in the surrounding area, was primarily an agricultural country, focused around smaller, farming communities where people were legally tied to, and required to work, “their” land, and so historically never “spread” their genes across a large area. The economy was, and had been, unstable for a very long period of time leading up to the plague, the government had been ineffective and had very little reach in comparison to the armies of the other countries around for a very very long time, and so its people largely remained in small communities where multiple generations of cross-familial inbreeding could have allowed for this more recessive gene to show up more frequently. Thus, there could be a higher percentage of O blood types in any region of the country, guaranteeing less spread of the illness and moving slower when it did manage to travel. Combine this with the fact that there were very few large, urban centers where the disease would thrive, and with the above facts, and you’ve got a lovely recipe for avoiding the plague.
Interestingly enough, as a result from the plague, the entirety of Europe now has a higher percentage of people with O blood type than any other region of the world.
WHY IS THIS ALL SO COOL
When Tumblr teaches you more about the plague than 12 years of school ever did.
I am descended from Poles and Jews and have type O blood. Clearly this is why I am so awesome: I am disease-proof. Also hygienic.
Gotta wash those hands!
Don’t forget since Europeans were superstious folks they would kill cats, since they were reprsented/accompanied by the devil/witches and would kill them (especially black cats) So once they almost eliminated cats there was no animals to kill rodents that carried the disease (since rats were the carriers cause of the infected fleas) So if they haven’t killed cats and were fuckin’ clean for once then about half of the population of Europe wouldn’t have died.
- vesperass-anuna reblogged this from aislingyngaio
- waiikitsune reblogged this from vanillazonfish
- waiikitsune likes this
- azukaramone likes this
- azukaramone reblogged this from alittleunlikely
- lizardsonparade reblogged this from memewhore
- thefaultinwholock reblogged this from eflat3flat
- thefaultinwholock likes this
- aintnocaptainwithoutamerica reblogged this from beokfactory
- naruokaiu likes this
- whomerlock-walking likes this
- whomerlock-walking reblogged this from eflat3flat
- lmx-v3point3 likes this
- days--turn--tonight reblogged this from littleblackmariah
- roving-elves likes this
- cissydanger likes this
- claribriter likes this
- eflat3flat reblogged this from haphazard-randomosity
- thefabulouslucy reblogged this from kyomi-02
- thefabulouslucy likes this
- majesticdoritos likes this
- littleblackmariah reblogged this from bourne-of-the-tardis
- cityoffeels likes this
- vanillazonfish reblogged this from xenxan
- vanillazonfish likes this
- momentsiam likes this
- beokfactory reblogged this from foxlore
- livinginfictionanddreams likes this
- hell-is-betterplace reblogged this from your-friendly-sociopath
- foxlore reblogged this from blossomofthemayflower
- darkmimic3 reblogged this from bourne-of-the-tardis
- blossomofthemayflower reblogged this from jade-stone
- theoreticalbabble likes this
- cupcakemassacare reblogged this from mistystarz
- xenxan reblogged this from nerditoutwithbooks
- cheez-itsascurrency reblogged this from notmartinfreeman
- bookobsessedforever reblogged this from notmartinfreeman
- nyan-vereverland likes this
- musicaldisguise likes this
- 8r8kingtime reblogged this from goinggrimdork
- 8r8kingtime likes this
- alittleunlikely reblogged this from notmartinfreeman
- mistystarz reblogged this from farfarfaraway-fromhere
- farfarfaraway-fromhere reblogged this from arwenthemuse
- supercoolfandomurl reblogged this from landofclocksandharmony
- howstrangeami likes this
- sierrastylinsob likes this
- fromcheshirewlove reblogged this from kyla-hawkward and added:
- epthymis reblogged this from arsenik-addiction
- bourne-of-the-tardis reblogged this from your-friendly-sociopath